Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a government benefit in the United Kingdom that helps people with disabilities or long-term health conditions. If you are eligible, PIP can provide you with financial support to help you with the extra costs associated with your condition.
To make a new PIP claim, you can contact the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). It's important to have all the necessary information ready before you call.
- Someone else can call on your behalf, but you’ll need to be with them when they call. This is to ensure that the information provided is accurate and reflects your needs.
- If you find it difficult to use a telephone, there are alternative ways to make a claim. The DWP can provide assistance and guidance on how to proceed.
Claim by Telephone or Textphone
When making a PIP claim by telephone or textphone, it's essential to have the following information readily available:
- Your correct contact details, including your telephone number and address. This ensures that the DWP can reach you easily and send any necessary correspondence.
- Your date of birth, as it is used to verify your identity and ensure that you meet the age requirements for PIP.
- Your National Insurance number, which can be found on letters related to tax, pensions, and benefits. This unique identifier helps the DWP track your employment and contribution history.
- Your bank or building society account number and sort code. This information is necessary for the DWP to set up direct payments if your claim is successful.
- Your doctor's or other health worker's name, address, and telephone number. This allows the DWP to gather additional medical evidence to support your claim.
- Dates and addresses for any time you've spent abroad, in a care home, or hospital. This information helps determine your eligibility and any additional support you may require.
Once you have gathered all the required information, you can call the Personal Independence Payment claims line. The line operates from Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm, providing you with ample opportunity to seek assistance and submit your claim.
Remember, making a PIP claim is an important step towards accessing the support you need. Don't hesitate to reach out to the DWP for guidance and clarification throughout the process.